canberrabirds

Whipbird in Canberra

To: 'Pam Stagg' <>
Subject: Whipbird in Canberra
From: "Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds " <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2026 05:17:58 +0000

Hello Pam,

 

I have changed the title to what your message is about. As it happens there has been one or two Eastern Whipbirds in Kambah for several months. They are in the area across from Sulwood drive from Mount Taylor. So in the eastern side of Kambah (I am in the western side. I have been to try to locate but not successfully.) Can you please tell us where is your home. In particular is it the same area? I have been liaising with a couple people who have been tracking these birds for some months, hopefully to write it up.

 

Philip

 

From: Pam Stagg
Sent: Tuesday, 16 June, 2026 2:05 PM
To: Philip Veerman <>; John <>
Cc:
Subject: Re: [Canberrabirds] Definite Crescent Honeyeater in Florey

 

Hi all,

My first time reporting on this thread, so please bear with me as I bumble my way through this, BUT I had a visit this morning from an Eastern whipbird, to my complete surprise. I've never know them to be in Canberra, so excitedly followed it around the densely foliaged trees and shrubs in my back yard, attempting to spot it as it called and moved around the entire perimeter. I did manage to capture it in a photo thanks to iPhone's live feature, and have some video footage which records the call but not the bird unfortunately.I'll attempt to upload those to Canberra Nature Map.

It must have been here for at least 15 minutes, and has just returned, though the call has changed so I'm wondering if this is the female? At the end of the whip, there's a double "weece".

Does that make sense?

Thanks for any intel,

Pam Stagg



This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information. If you believe you have received this email or any of its contents in error, please notify me immediately by return email and destroy this email. Do not use, disseminate, forward, print or copy any contents of an email received in error.


Attachment: ATT00001.txt
Description: ATT00001.txt

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Whipbird in Canberra, Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au] <=
    • Whipbird in Canberra, Philip Veerman via Canberrabirds [canberrabirds-bounces@lists.canberrabirds.org.au]
Admin

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the Canberra Ornithologists Group mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the list contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email . If you can not contact David McDonald e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU