canberrabirds

An update on access to Lake Cargelligo Sewage Works and Round Hill/Nombi

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: An update on access to Lake Cargelligo Sewage Works and Round Hill/Nombinnie Nature Reserves
From: Kim Farley via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 08:25:38 +0000
By coincidence, my birding buddy Sue Beatty and I visited Lake C and Round Hill/Nombinnie the week following Shorty's posts to the Chatline on this topic.

As Shorty found, the Sewage Works at Lake Cargelligo have a sign at each side of the bird hide making it clear that there is no unauthorised access beyond that point. We visited the Tourism Info Centre in the town to query the restriction, and found that the folks there didn't know about the closure.  Later, while we were at the Hide two of the Tourism Info gents turned up to check it out for themselves. We had a long yarn about it all.  They were concerned, as they are well aware of the value to the town's economy of visiting birders.  I have since written to the Shire Council.

As for Round Hill/Nombinnie Nature Reserves, everything there was the same as usual. We DID see signs about closures, but the ones we saw were temporary closures for overhead feral animal control activity (shooting of pigs and goats from aircraft I guess).  As the stated dates for that activity had passed we drove in as usual.

More generally, we had excellent birding along Round Hill Road, with gentle pedestrian forays into the bush when we heard interesting calls. One of many highlights of our 2 days was Red-lored Whistler seen and heard only a few metres from the railway crossing on Round Hill Rd. Sue did well and got a photo of the bird which is on this eBird Checklist. We also birded around Whoey Tanks and along bits of Tipping Way.

Kim