canberrabirds

Draft COG Ethics Guidelines

To: "" <>
Subject: Draft COG Ethics Guidelines
From: Steve Read via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 22:55:41 +0000

Dear chatline subscribers

The COG (Canberra Birds) Committee considers that the time is right for COG to produce and endorse a set of ethical birding guidelines. Attached is a draft we have created and considered over several months. The first page outlines the purpose of the guidelines, and introduces the concept of ethical birding; the second page is the guidelines; and the last page gives references to more detailed treatments by other organisations.

We have tried throughout to strike the right balance between addressing community expectations and taking a leadership role. The word ‘birding’ is used to cover all bird-related activities, including bird-watching and bird photography. We also realise we may need to prepare some accompanying educational material.

This draft was provided to COG members last weekend for comment, and feedback is now also being sought from the wider community of chatline subscribers. After consideration and incorporation of any suggested amendments, the draft will be provided to the COG Committee for final adoption.

Please send your thoughts to , cc. .

Thanks in advance for reading these draft guidelines, and giving any feedback you might have.

Regards

COG Committee