canberrabirds

FW: eBirders! Take care with Long-billed Corella identification

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: eBirders! Take care with Long-billed Corella identification
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 00:45:21 +0000

Thanks Christine.  Here are some further considerations.  Before eBird, there was a small population of hybrids in the Canberra area, perhaps of aviary origin.  It is not known whether there were also any ‘pure’ LBCs.  The hybrids came to be recorded as Long-bills, in the COG annual bird reports and in Birdata for example. No doubt many observers included them as such in personal records.  The introduction in eBird of the ‘hybrid’ option created a third category, requiring a decision whether a particular record was of a hybrid or a pure LBC. While some specimens we see today  seem indistinguishable from a pure LBC, it is difficult to be certain going by visual evidence alone. It is a matter for the observer and reviewer to arrive at the appropriate category for eBird purposes.  The category for other purposes is a different issue.

To supplement this note I’ve prepared the attached graphic.  According to Birdata, the Bowen Park site is the prime spot for LBCs in the Canberra area.   Incidentally, I am cautious about making use of field guides on this issue, because (unless photos) the illustrations are usually diagrammatic, unlike the ones in Forshaw & Cooper editions, which show particular identified specimens.