canberrabirds

eBirders! Take care with Long-billed Corella identification

To: Kim Farley <>, Canberra birds <>
Subject: eBirders! Take care with Long-billed Corella identification
From: Sue Beatty via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 02:21:34 +0000

Hi Kim, fellow twitchers and other birders,

I think I’m one of the culprits here, though I had already decided that mine looked a bit debatable and changed it in eBird to “Little x Long-billed Corella (hybrid)”. But the thing is I HAD checked my favourite field guide, the CSIRO Australian Bird Guide, and one of the adult Long-billeds there looks very like my photo. I suspect there’s quite a variation in even the non-hybrid birds, so it’s very difficult to be sure which we are looking at in the ACT where they are known to have hybridized. This wouldn’t be such a problem except we’re all so concerned with our eBird rankings that we have to go and find one each year 😊. My immediate solution (when I get desperate enough!) will be to go down to Lake Tuggeranong and find the one Sandra photographed, which is actually a lot redder even than the Long-billed Corellas in the field guide!

I can’t find Sandra’s photo taken last week in eBird, but in case it helps, here’s the list with mine which is NOT enough of a Long-billed Corella to make the cut:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S157910784

Would it help if Kim made them rare in the ACT in eBird? Not everyone puts up a photo to be critically examined, so maybe it would be better if everyone without a photo described what they’re seeing that justifies the sighting?

Cheers,

Sue