canberrabirds

Pest species, 1870s

To: 'Canberra birds' <>
Subject: Pest species, 1870s
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:42:27 +0000

I doubt that we could ever come up with an answer on this. The only thing that is comparable and blue and smaller than magpies are Satin Bowerbird males. But they don’t have yellow eyes, but otherwise fits (better than corvids or currawongs). I thought of babblers, based on my time in China, where the Azure-winged Magpie is common. That bird, although a magpie, is more like our babblers in shape and antics, than it is like our magpie. Of course I have no idea if whoever wrote that piece knew anything about that bird or any others like it, to use it to make the (wrong) connection.

Philip