canberrabirds

Painted-snipe eye narrowing or closing

To: 'calyptorhynchus' <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Painted-snipe eye narrowing or closing
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 20:57:52 +0000

This is very interesting.  The behaviour, eye narrowing or closing when feeding,  was very evident when 3 birds were at Kelly Swamp in 2011.  It does not seem to depend on water depth.  It might depend on whether there is nearby protruding veg.  Most other birds including Latham’s Snipe do not appear to engage in the behaviour, or to the same extent.  Getting out of my depth here, and not much evidence, but it does not seem to be reflexive. On the other hand it does seem to be reflexive in pigeons. When pigeons (say Rock Dove or Crested Pigeon) peck at seed with a peck every one second or so, the eye seems to close with each peck. This could be explored further with video.