canberrabirds

FW: EXTERNAL: What people are saying about data collection

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: EXTERNAL: What people are saying about data collection
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 22:15:11 +0000

For information

From: Stephen Garnett <>
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2023 6:23 PM
To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Cc: 'Georgia Garrard' <>

Hi Geoffrey

I am afraid I do not know the state of the state of Australia's birds, but do know it is expensive to collect, but I agree that many of the once common species in south-eastern Australia are becoming scarce, and that it seems to be accelerating. The methods of using e-Bird for assessing trends are improving (see some of Corey Callaghan's work), and there is some effort around Birdata, even if there is less effort than eBird. Of course, for many threatened species, monitoring has to be tailored anyway and neither eBird nor Birdata can be used to determine trends (though we did manage to use eBird for White-throated Grasswren in the action plan, for want of anything else). States of Australian birds are quite different to action plans because they deal with all birds and action plans is only those close to extinction. BLA needs to look after both.

I chuckled at the touching belief that the next action plan will appear in 2030 because it is 'due'! There has never been institutionalised funding so who knows what 2030 will bring. Lets hope it will - decades seem to pass with increasing speed as I get older! I do think decadal intervals are about right for assessing trends in extinction risk because evidence of change accumulates slowly.

best wishes

Stephen