canberrabirds

Red-browed finches, Higgins

To: 'John Layton' <>
Subject: Red-browed finches, Higgins
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 01:33:00 +0000
I would not know an answer to this other, than to suggest another option. Zebra
Finches can breed so easily in captivity that some keeper may have had this
problem of having too many. I had that problem when I kept them decades ago.
Faced with that problem, someone may have decided to release an intact family.
It does seem an odd suggestion but could happen. I did not (and would not) do
that.

I also mention that during my time at La Trobe University (Bundoora, Melbourne)
a group of initially 6 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins inhabited the wildlife
reserve from February 1977 and seen by many people, the number reduced and the
last one seen in July 1977. There was also a small colony of Zebra Finches
resident there from 1972 (it would appear) and I last saw ten of them on 10
March 1978. (These are published records.) There surely were several aviary
collections nearby, not least Dr Richard Zann's at the university but I don't
think any were derived from his collection. Even though I recall that in mid
1978, someone broke into the facility and robbed the aviaries and stole most of
his research collection of Masked and Long-tailed (maybe others) Finches.