canberrabirds

Query, Mountain Brush-tailed Possum

To: 'calyptorhynchus' <>
Subject: Query, Mountain Brush-tailed Possum
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 06:28:10 +0000

The species Mountain Brush-tailed Possum (also called bobuck) Trichosurus caninus was certainly known as a species separate (from the Common Brushtail Possum), in the 1970s, indeed well before then. My oldest book on the subject: Brazenor 1950. “The mammals of Victoria” lists it as its own species. As do all the relevant books since then. I don’t know if they occur in our region. We might be too far west. They look rather different and in a good view, not too hard to tell apart. I used to see them a lot in the 1970s, when La Trobe Uni zoology department did a lot of work with marsupials.

Philip