canberrabirds

Dye spots on Cockatoo Backs

To: "" <>
Subject: Dye spots on Cockatoo Backs
From: Lucy Aplin via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2023 06:24:40 +0000

Hi Peter, Susan and Chris,

That is my lab group's research project (the Cognitive Ecology Group at the Research School of Biology, ANU). We are measuring social networks and foraging ecology in the north-side Canberra cockies, with dye-dots on the backs to identify individuals. We use these as a non-invasive alternative to trapping and banding - the dots last for around 3 months, and the birds show no reaction to it, while they tend to chew off other marking methods.

We have 800+ birds individually marked from ANU to Watson; I've attached an example photo, of "MGO" (Maroon, Green, Orange). The first colour indicates the roost of origin, and some birds only have the single roost colour (as we ran out of unique combinations after 800):

Red or Pink = ANU roost
Black = MacArthur Ave
Violet = Lyneham Wetlands
Green = War Memorial
Blue or Light Blue = Watson Pottery
Orange = Blue Gum Primary (Hackett)
Maroon (brown) = Mt Painter Bicentennial trail

We are doing direct observations, but also really appreciate public observations to help us build roost-level home-ranges! As Peter said, some of the colours are a bit tricky to distinguish, but if you take a photo of the back and tell us where and when, we'll identify it and add it to our dataset. You can email us directly at , or download our mobile phone app "BigCityBirds" and report there.

I believe Julia Penndorf (postdoc in the group) is giving a talk at the COG meeting in October, so if you attend, you'll hear more there!

Cheers,
Lucy

PS - we worked in central Sydney from 2019-2021, however the occasional reports of entirely blue or pink cockatoos are definitely not us. We also think they are likely from road-side chemicals or coloured weed-spray by councils.