canberrabirds

Koel fledgling

To: Anthony Overs <>, Terry Munro <>
Subject: Koel fledgling
From: Mark Clayton via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 21:36:23 +0000

There has been a sudden rush of koel chicks in my area in Kaleen recently. On the 17th I reported two in my yard to Jack H, one of which had obviously literally only just left the nest. This last bird, almost as small as its adopted “parents”, has been driving us crazy with its constant beginning call as it sits in a banksia just off my back deck demanding food from its two Red Wattlebird “parents”. At one point it was sitting on the railing of the deck at the back of the house. Surprisingly even though they are often within half a metre of the chick, Pied Currawongs are not doing anything to harass the bird.

FYI Jack H – on the 23rd my wife recorded two individual chicks at the Kaleen Plaza on Georgina Circuit.

Mark

Sent from Mail for Windows