canberrabirds

FW: Update from Australian Painted-snipe Tracking Team on Tracking Endan

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: Update from Australian Painted-snipe Tracking Team on Tracking Endangered Australian Painted-snipe
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 22:12:25 +0000

Below for information.  This is the time of year that the species can be recorded around Canberra.

As we are going to hear a lot more about names, I mention there is a sign displayed in Lake Cargelligo giving background to that name. In 1817 John Oxley came across the feature when it was of large extent and named it ‘Regent’s Lake’.  Thomas Mitchell about 20 years later found it in  a shrunken condition and recorded it by the name he was given by the inhabitants - ‘Cudjallagong’.  This, as happens with these things, became ‘Cargelligo’.  (See also ‘Budgerigar’)