canberrabirds

COG Woodland Survey at Majura, 28 November

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: COG Woodland Survey at Majura, 28 November
From: Kim Farley via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 08:19:03 +0000

On Monday this week, Barbara Allan and I visited the Majura Training Area for the quarterly COG Woodland Survey. It was a lovely morning, 17 degrees and sunny with a very light breeze. As well as the birds, the wildflowers were a real treat on this visit.

We saw 42 species at the seven sites we were able to survey, with the highlights being a male Scarlet Robin, a party of three Speckled Warblers, as well as multiple Shining Bronze-cuckoos and White-throated Gerygones. We also had great views of a pair of Leaden Flycatchers and a brief sighting of a Brown FalconCommon Bronzewings were seen at 4 sites, which is much more common than usual here. Another unusual sighting was several Grey Currawong, and we were pleased to see nesting Tree Martins.

Perhaps they were otherwise occupied (nesting duties?) but we saw fewer Noisy MIners than on our last visit.

Kim Farley and Barbara Allan