canberrabirds

Bird hard luck story

To: 'CanberraBirds email list' <>
Subject: Bird hard luck story
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 03:59:22 +0000

For the first time in 37 years (as far as I remember) a pair of Magpie-larks have taken advantage of the mud and built a nest in my big eucalypt tree. Most years, either ravens, currawongs or magpies nest in this tree, a couple times I have even had Australian Hobbies settling in and defending the ravens’ nest for a couple days.. These 2 Magpie-larks are very friendly and if I am ever out raking, mowing or even digging in the yard, they always follow me around quite closely. Most years Magpie-larks nest in the local park (which I count in my GBS). The story is: today I have found nest number three on the ground having fallen out. That is 3 nests at least half to ¾ constructed that have fallen down, it would appear each in exactly the same position, probably due to the wind, within one week.