canberrabirds

FW: Your eBird species totals during the annual taxonomy update...

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: Your eBird species totals during the annual taxonomy update...
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 02:22:53 +0000

The eBird Australian list is to be distinguished from the Birdlife Australia list (WLAB), which, give or take a bit of delay in the updating, serves as the COG list.  WLAB was recently updated to v.4, mainly by addition of 13 species accepted by the Birdlife Australia Rarities Committee (BARC). Taking the waterfowl as an example of the differences, I see that eBird has 34 species as against the 30 in WLAB. The extra 4 are exotic species that eBird accepts for the Australian list, evidently on the basis of confirmed observations here: Egyptian Goose, Muscovy Duck, Mandarin Duck, New Zealand Scaup.  (The Muscovy Duck is an unusual example of the COG list including a species not in WLAB.)  The NZ Scaup is an interesting addition.  The inclusion on the eBird list appears to derive from a single bird recorded at Goulds Lagoon Wildlife Sanctuary, Tasmania, on 9 occasions between 2019 and 2021.

The difference between the eBird process and the BARC process seems to be that the latter excludes records of birds that have not arrived by ‘natural means’ or that ‘are proven or strongly suspected to have captive origins’.  However, the Tufted Duck has recently been accepted for WLAB v.4.