canberrabirds

Wet and muddy COG Blitzing at Namadgi on Sunday

To: Kim Farley <>
Subject: Wet and muddy COG Blitzing at Namadgi on Sunday
From: sandra henderson via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2022 01:21:08 +0000
Wettest conditions I've spent a lot of time birding in. At one point on the Tharwa Sandwash track I had a turtle swimming along beside my submerged feet (I did have gumboots on). Much of that track is under water.
Along the Molonglo River behind the RSPCA only one tree appears to be being used by the darters and cormorants for nesting this year, and the thicker than usual leaf growth made it difficult to identify nests, but both darters and little pied cormorants are nesting.
My major Blitz site was Glendale Depot, one of my favourite spots. Fuscous Honeyeaters were feeding on the ground near the entry, along with the Jacky Winter.  Grey Currawongs were calling from the slopes on both sides once I got past the depot buildings.  Dusky Woodswallows were plentiful, and I included in the photos on my eBird list a pic of a Welcome Swallow nest lined with all sorts of feathers.
At Kambah Pool I again located the Frogmouth NOT on a nest, but cannot find the nest this year. There seem to be at least three pairs of Leaden Flycatchers there, and the Dollarbirds are perhaps going to nest on the near side of the river, rather than on the far side as usual.
Sandra H