canberrabirds

Blitzing in the rain at Mulligans Flat Sanctuary!

To: Jenny Bounds <>
Subject: Blitzing in the rain at Mulligans Flat Sanctuary!
From: Joan Lipscombe via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2022 06:18:40 +0000
We haven't ventured out, but did have a surprise visitor in our garden in Campbell - Common Bronzewing wandering through.

A new bird for the garden.

Joan

On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 at 15:42, Jenny Bounds via Canberrabirds <> wrote:

Myself and Kathy Eyles headed out to Mulligans Flat Sanctuary this morning with Plan A and Plan B, and then Plan C came into play.  Fairly consistent showers, some heavy, came through all morning and with overnight rain, rivers were running in the Sanctuary and water coming over the main access road was expanding in places.  I think we spent more time looking at the BOM radar than doing 20 minute searches!  We met the ranger out there who was already aware of our blitz Plan.  Plan A to drive to the eastern side of reserve, best birdy sites there, but no go, the main access road was flooded 700 metres past the Woolshed at a small dam next to the road (12-18 inches deep), so Plan B was do several 20 minute searches in the Woolshed area.  Alas the rain was pretty constant early, so we devised Plan C and went into Forde suburb next door to have breakfast at Frankies café.  Then back to the Sanctuary and Plan B. Despite the almost constant showers, and limited time out of the car, mostly raining, we ended up with 35 species just in the woolshed area, as soon as the rain eased off a bit the birds started to call.  Highlights were Dollarbird and Speckled Warbler, and quite a few Wood Ducks out enjoying the wet.

By 1pm, running water was building up on the access road out, it was still raining and more rain coming on the radar, so we made strategic decision to leave and have late morning tea under the shelter at the Amy Ackman Dr carpark.

I have never seen Mulligans with so much water flowing.

Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list