canberrabirds

Wood Ducks with young at Holt Oval.

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Wood Ducks with young at Holt Oval.
From: John Layton via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 01:38:32 +0000

This morning, after the customary deluge, I saw a pair of Wood Ducks with four young near the edge of the oval.

For the past two late winters/early springs I’ve seen woodies apparently prospecting for nesting hollows in the local area and would be surprised if they found any because the trees are probably too young to have formed suitable hollows. Besides and almost inevitably, when a limb falls, often from a Brittle Gum, out comes the ACT Government’s razor gang replete with chain saws and down she comes.

I’m wondering if Wood Ducks will utilise other nesting facilities like a snug and secure cavity in the wall of a drain or underpass for example? I’m too lazy busy just now to check the literature.

John Layton

Holt.