canberrabirds

Early Oriole

To: "" <>
Subject: Early Oriole
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 08:45:06 +0000

Interesting. The text from The GBS Report (2003) is:

Olive-backed Oriole Oriolus sagittatus

A woodland and forest inhabitant that is a summer migrant to our area. It passes through the suburbs on arrival and can be quite vocal at that time. It is an accomplished vocal mimic. On most years taken individually, there is a dip in the warmer months' abundance here, probably as the birds move away from the suburban areas to breed. However the timing of this is inconsistent. So when all years are combined on one graph, it does not show. It is rare here from May to July, then birds start to arrive in August and increase to a peak in October then decline fairly smoothly through February, March & April when passing through the city. They are probably less conspicuous then. Although there is some random variation, overall the long-term abundance of this species has increased. Only three records with activities at nest, they are from mid November to early December. Also dependent young from early November to early February. Graphs on page: 102, Rank: 38, Breeding Rank: 42, A = 0.05556, F = 41.80%, W = 34.0, R = 5.119%, G = 1.09.

This does not comment much on winter time presence just “rare”, as the data did not give much basis for comment. But it and the graphs indicate that it is here in low numbers through the winter (each month). This is based on data from 1981 to 2002. It is of course hard to distinguish if they are over wintering, as in some individuals stay on, or whether there is small numbers of different birds passing through from elsewhere, during the winter months.

Philip