canberrabirds

Gooroo South woodland survey 19-20 June 2022

To: "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Gooroo South woodland survey 19-20 June 2022
From: Steve Holliday <>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 23:54:33 +0000

Prue and I did our winter survey in the southern half of Goorooyarroo over the last couple of days, after the first day ended early when a gate giving access to some sites was unexpectedly found to be locked. There was a lot of water around with some creeks flowing. 48 species were recorded over the two days, a very good total for winter, with 31 of these found during 10 minute counts at our 9 survey sites.

Sunday the 19th was cool, sunny and still. Snow was clearly visible in the distance on the Brindabellas. Small mixed flocks were encountered at a few of our sites featuring such species as Striated, Brown and Buff-rumped Thornbills, Silvereye, Superb Fairy-wren, Golden Whistler, White-eared Honeyeater, Grey Fantail, Weebill and Spotted and Striated Pardalotes. A White-plumed Honeyeater was with a small flock at site 8, and a Mistletoebird heard at site 2. Incidental records included Brown Goshawk, Nankeen Kestrel, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Common Bronzewing and Speckled Warbler. Western Gerygone and Australian Owlet Nightjar were both heard. There was one breeding record; a pair of Yellow-rumped Thornbills were busy building a nest in a large Box Mistletoe in a Yellow Box.

We completed our last 3 sites on Monday the 20th.. It was still and heavily overcast to begin with, then mist and drizzle drifted in and stayed for most of the morning. Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos were heard at site 4 and a Nankeen Kestrel seen at site 3. Interesting incidental records included 2 Brown Goshawks together near the carpark (and a single seen later), a Collared Sparrowhawk flying over, Gang-gang Cockatoos, Superb Parrots, and a Golden-headed Cisticola in the paddock nearest the carpark. A sizeable mixed flock was encountered on the walk out which included a similar range of small species to those seen yesterday.

Steve