canberrabirds

FW: Habitats and Where-to-buy-Native-Plants-in-the-Canberra-Region.pdf

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: Habitats and Where-to-buy-Native-Plants-in-the-Canberra-Region.pdf
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 23:50:16 +0000

Thank you for those thoughts Rosemary.  Indeed a complex subject, but I think most will agree with you.  My starting point would be that fleshy-fruit exotic plantings (eg pyracantha, ornamental prunus, blackberry) and other ‘weeds’ are a significant component of the vegetation that supports Canberra’s birdlife. Without them we would probably not see such numbers of, not only currawongs, but silvereyes, bowerbirds and koels. There are other examples of semi-dependence of native bird species on exotic plantings.  Superb parrots like Cootamundra Wattle, Chinese Elm and seeds of introduced weeds and grasses. Shelter is another issue, given the low representation of native shrub species in our woodlands. Policy on removal or reduction is another matter.  I think each of us will have a favourite plant candidate for banishment.