canberrabirds

Breeding birds in Hawker

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Breeding birds in Hawker
From: Anthony Overs via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2022 23:38:17 +0000
No, it wasn’t the last report. I forgot a few things.

Magpie-larks made their nth breeding attempt (I lost count) and were recently successful, raising two young. Mum brought a young one up to the back door. As she worked over some spiderwebs the youngster made that horrendous grinding begging call. The call came through the screen door and echoed around the family room making the bird sound like it was some sort of enormous beast.

Last week, the female Satin Bowerbird that visits most days for a bath and the occasional piece of fruit brought two begging dependent young with her. She spent most of her time this season at the rear of 5 Dungowan St. Nest not located.

Rainbow Lorikeets have being highly successful in the local area. Up until recently the largest group I’ve seen in 11 years was about 25 birds. The last six months saw profuse flowering of eucalypts throughout the suburb and the lorikeets have been all over them. I watched a pair investigate a hollow multiple times in the ‘block of flats’ tree two doors down from me but nothing eventuated. Recently, the lorikeets have been roosting together; they gather close to dusk flying around in a large group before settling down somewhere in the Ambalindum Street and Goodparla Street area in Hawker (I haven’t been able to get around there to find exactly where). In recent days, I’ve estimated at least 40-50 birds in the swirling flock.

Anthony