canberrabirds

Fwd: Re: Can you help please?

To: CanberraBirds email list <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: Can you help please?
From: "" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 02:24:15 +0000
If you are able to help Philip to identify his nocturnal visitor please
reply directly to him. He lives in Curtin.

Thanks

Margaret Robertson

On 17-02-2022 08:49, Philip Barnaart wrote:
> Hello
>
> I wonder if you could help me with the identification of a bird that I
> have never heard before?
>
> Last night, at about 1.30 am, I woke up to the sound of what sounded
> like a machine humming in cycles.
> Each cycle lasted the same time - about 5 seconds - and it was quite
> distracting. So much so that I couldn't get back to sleep!
>
> At first I thought the young neighbour next door had left some
> electronic machine running.
> It was definitely coming from outside in the direction of the
> neighbour's house.
>
> I got up and tried to follow the sound and sure enough it was
> definitely coming from the direction of the neighbour's.
> But as I approached the boundary I realised that the sound was coming
> from up in the Argyle Apple tree on the neighbour's nature strip.
>
> I went back inside and armed myself with a powerful torch which I
> shone up into the (very large) Argyle Apple but could not make out any
> animal or bird.
>
> However the sharp bright beam of my torch disturbed a white/light
> coluored bird which flew away to the west.
>
> It was this bird that was making the noise. Once it flew away the
> noise ceased.
>
> Was it an owl? If so which species? Powerful owl?
>
> I have never heard this noise in our neighbourhood before.
>
> Regards
> Philip
Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list