canberrabirds

unfamiliar koel behaviour (to me anyway)

To: 'Ian Fraser' <>, 'Cog line' <>
Subject: unfamiliar koel behaviour (to me anyway)
From: jandaholland--- via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:02:28 +0000

Many thanks Ian, for posting this very interesting observation.

While in my experience Koels can spend quite a bit of time being silent, I couldn’t easily recall any case of two males together doing so.  I could recall an incident when a male and female within 10 m of each other were largely silent for >30 minutes at the back of my house.

As my memory is far from perfect these days I’ve had a bit of a look back at some of my yearly summaries in CBN.

I can find the above example from the 2018-2019 season, but can’t readily find one where 2 males were doing so.  The check back illustrates that the focus has clearly been on recording noisy multiple Koel aggregations/interactions, probably because observers are much more likely to hear and report such incidences.

This doesn’t mean there may be an example hidden somewhere in my notes, but does show the bias in reporting and publishing is clearly towards multiple Koels being noisy, probably because the observers are then much more likely to be alerted to their presence.

Jack Holland