canberrabirds

Red Hill WOO Survey

To: "" <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Red Hill WOO Survey
From: Harvey Perkins via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 02:03:29 +0000
The Red Hill Woodland survey was done on Sunday 12 December, in calm, pleasant conditions following several very wet and blustery days. In total 24 species were recorded within sites, and a further 6 between sites. This is slightly below average for a summer survey, as were the total individual numbers. The only sign of any breeding was a couple of young Red Wattlebirds. The highlight was a new species record - a small party of Brown-headed Honeyeaters at site 1 - the 100th species for the Red Hill surveys. The wet spring has resulted in strong growth, the understory now averaging about 0.5-1m in height across the reserve, and, together with sapling growth and regeneration is making many sites almost unrecognisable. I've never seen such diverse understory flowering, or such heavy flowering on the eucalypts, in the 23 years I've been doing these surveys. After 20 years of being my co-surveyer, Stuart Harris relinquished this role a year ago, so I'm looking for a replacement. If you're interested, email me at