canberrabirds

Lock down protocaol for Birders

To: Archer Callaway <>
Subject: Lock down protocaol for Birders
From: Michael Lenz via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 20:57:39 +0000
Archer,

many thanks indeed for your considered and helpful comments, much appreciated!

Michael Lenz

On Sat, 18 Sept 2021 at 22:08, Archer Callaway via Canberrabirds <> wrote:
Indeed there is a lot of ambiguity in the current rules, keeping in mind that the overall aim is to reduce (not eliminate) contact points and mixing of the community. I'll keep my comments brief as the legislative aspect seems to have already been clarified, and many good points have already been made.
  • Minister Stephen-Smith was quoted by the ABC (2 Sep) "if you live a long way from your friends, and you need to meet up somewhere, you are allowed to do that under the current directions".
  • Also from minister Stephen-Smith (ABC Canberra) - "We relaxed those gathering rules slightly so that people could , for their own mental health, catch up with a few other people on occasion" - mental wellbeing is considered a valid priority.
  • You are able to meet with up to 5 people from NSW for outdoors exercise / recreation as long as they can enter the ACT under the standing exemption - obviously this cannot be done within within your local region for all members.
  • Stay within your region 'wherever possible'.
  • Earlier on before outdoor recreation was permitted, exersise was not defined. Exersise means something different to everyone taking into account age and fitness, and I noticed there were people who undertook birding and bird photography, while others (including myself) were not comfortable with this. This didn't seem to raise the same kind of discussion, although I concede it is irrelevant now.
  • For people like myself that live near the edge of their district, there are many sites that are far more local that fall in the adjacent district. For example, it's probably more justified for me to walk Isaccs Ridge (3 minute drive or walking distance if I'm feeling energetic, but not in my district) than going to Tuggeranong Hill or Rob Roy (10 minute drive, but within my district). Also consider reserves like Mt Taylor and Farrar Ridge - they are technically part of Tuggeranong, but are ajoined by suburbs in Woden (Farrar, Pearce), and those residents would absolutely be using it.
Can I emphasise that it is not the responsibilty of COG or COG members to police the movements of others. COG cannot possibly be held accountable for or be expected to have any influence over the behaviour of birders and other nature enthusiasts, of which with all due respect only a small minority are members of or associated with COG in any way. We are all in this together, and coping or struggling in a different manner, and the best thing we can do is support each other through it. For those that have been able to keep to a very strict interpretation of the rules, I applaude you. Some have applied a slightly more liberal interpretation of the rules, and that's okay too. I'm sure everyone is doing the best they can and working to limit their movement wherever possible. Also keep in mind that people do find themselves in other areas of Canberra for various reasons, including work and for medical reasons, and may incidentally find themselves birding on these occasions. We do not know of each individual's circumstances, and should not be so quick to pass judgement.

Another thing that has come to light is the effect of ebird and other social media putting more scrutiny on people's movements than ever before. For those keeping strictly to their street and local park, it may be upsetting to see other people moving around further. For others, seeing lists just outside of your local zone may prove too much of a temptation, or a source of angst and frustration. Perhaps now is the time for ebird users to review your privacy settings while we are under restricted movement orders. There are options to hide your name, your profile, or your lists from recent visits and/or alerts. If you do take this step, I would encourage you to revert your settings at the conclusion of lockdown. Clearly, seeing other's movements/sightings/lists but having your own hands tied is posing challenges for many of us in the current climate, and anything to help alleviate that and reduce feelings of anxiety and annoyance should be pursued.

A guide to the hidden birding gems of each Canberra district is a great initiative, I hope Sue gets lots of submissions of your favourite local sites. For those looking to find new spots locally, the following are also a good place to start.
Please take care of yourselves, and reach out to friends or other support services if you are struggling. Otherwise, regularly check in and reconnect with others close to you - you don't know how helpful even a short message can be for them. And most importantly, take some time out in nature, whether that be at your local reserve or your backyard.

Archer