canberrabirds

Barn Owl in Duffy

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Barn Owl in Duffy
From: Jean Casburn <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 00:23:09 +0000

Imagine sitting in the sun in the total quiet of Duffy – no cars no birds calling, no dogs.

Then suddenly a cacophony of Currawongs flying in all directions from everywhere.  Join in Magpie Lark, Aus Ravens, Red Wattlebirds, Common Myna and Bowerbirds.

Distantly a convergence towards a few very tall trees. Symphony of sounds goes on for quite a while then settles to a lower tone. Several Currawongs return to my Street along with smaller birds Bowerbirds and Red Wattlebirds.

Squarking continues in the tall pine tree across the road.

I am sorry to say that I went to investigate only to find a Barn Owl briefly looking at me then taking fright. Again to be pursued by sundry members of the orchestra.

Now all is quiet again Barn Owl appears to be safely ensconsed in a larger densely packed Conifer.

What else does one do in shut down?

Jean