canberrabirds

Rainbow Lorikeet breeding

To: COG bird list <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeet breeding
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 00:05:53 +0000

I have seen RLs breeding at Newline Quarry during the blitz.

This season, I have had regular – almost daily – visits from at least a pair of RLs feeding on a flowering Banksia in my front garden.

Yesterday I saw a pair on top of an Atlantic Cedar next door.  One (I presume the male)  was bobbing and fluttering wings.  (At that point I couldn’t see the female but assumed that she was around.)

The male approached the female, now visible.  Initially, she hopped onto a nearby branch.  The male followed and kept approaching her.  There was some contact of heads and necks.  Then he mounted her, upon her back for a while but then positioned himself properly, tails entwined and he thrusted several times and then dismounted.  There were no theatrics and no screeching or calling of any kind that I could hear.

So, local suburban breeding.  I cannot see where they may be nesting.  A Eucalypt near my house with a good hollow is occupied by nesting Galahs.  I will continue to explore the neighbourhood for the RLs’ nest.

David