canberrabirds

Survey about COG's name

To: "" <>
Subject: Survey about COG's name
From: Alison Mackerras <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 02:45:08 +0000
Extract from July issue of Gang-gang:

What’s in a name – the Canberra Ornithologists Group

COG Members, we would like your input!

One of the issues raised in our 2019 membership survey was that some
members are not enthusiastic about the name Canberra Ornithologists
Group, and so the idea of COG using a new or different name was
discussed during the Strategic Planning meetings that the COG committee
held in late 2020 and early 2021.

Reasons for considering a different name include:
- the name Canberra Ornithologists Group can be unwieldy, not
understood, or too hard to pronounce. This is especially the case for
non-members (as members, we have likely become quite used to the
abbreviation ‘COG’)
- ornithology only addresses one of the club’s three objectives and
purposes (which broadly are education, research and conservation of the
birds of the Canberra region).

There are also reasons that the name Canberra Ornithologists Group
remain unchanged:
- the name has served the club for decades, is well recognised, and has
a good reputation throughout the ACT.

As members we have the option of keeping the name unchanged, formally
changing COG’s name, or adopting a ‘trading name’ while keeping Canberra
Ornithologists Group as the legal name (for example, we already title
our website and chatline ‘Canberra Birds’, and although we don’t use
that name elsewhere, we could start to).

If you have any thoughts on this for the committee to consider, please
consider filling out the brief survey on Page 16. The committee will
review the responses, and bring a consensus view back to the membership
for discussion. Any change to COG’s legal name would require a vote at
the AGM.

Please return completed surveys by Saturday 31 July to:
PO Box 301 CIVIC SQUARE ACT 2608
or

The Committee.

An editable copy of the survey is attached.