canberrabirds

Superb Parrots

To: Peter <>
Subject: Superb Parrots
From: Anthony Overs via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 09:26:51 +0000
Hi all

Lots of Superbs around.

Just this afternoon at my son’s soccer game in Wanniassa, at least 25 birds
flying about, and stopping in various trees.

I’m in Deakin two mornings a week, sometimes three. I hear Superbs just about
every time I’m there. And that’s just in the couple of minutes between car and
building.

Superb Parrot traffic at my home in Hawker is the slowest at this time of year.
But I still hear at least one call most days.

I recently commented on a post on the Canberra Birders Rare and Unusual
Sightings Facebook page. Someone was looking for Superbs. Plenty of comments
provided suitable locations (e.g. AIS). I advised to try the area centred on
the car park on the eastern side of Hawker College, the adjacent soccer field,
the softball centre to the north, and the park across from the college. I’ve
seen them on the bird bath in the front yard on the corner of Erldunda and
Murranji. I also added that I sat outside on my deck at home for most of that
morning, on 1 May, between 8-11am, and simply lost count of the superbs flying
over. I’m basically under a flyway (Dungowan and Mataranka Sts) between the
breeding area to the south-west in the molonglo valley and feeding areas in the
suburbs. Singles, pairs, groups small and large, calling and silent.

A lot has changed concerning superb breeding areas and overwintering behaviour.
The days of breeding only as far south as Wallaroo Rd and moving north for
winter are long gone.

And that’s a great thing!

Anthony