canberrabirds

FW: information request - lyrebirds and pilotbirds

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>, Canberrabirds <>
Subject: FW: information request - lyrebirds and pilotbirds
From: "Hawkins, Brian via Canberrabirds" <>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 00:25:48 +0000

UNOFFICIAL

G’day Geoffrey,

I had some sound recorders (Song Meters) out in burnt areas of Ribbon Gum forest in Namadgi last Autumn, and am hoping to put some out again over the next few weeks.

I haven’t done detailed analyses, but there was certainly a decline in calling by both species (and by Bassian Thrush) post-fire.

My impression is that both species are still present in burnt areas, especially where the burn was patchy and low-intensity, but in reduced numbers. I get the feeling that Lyrebirds survived the fire reasonably well, but may have subsequently struggled to find enough food.

Looking at eBird, most post-fire records of Pilotbirds in or near the burn area are from close to the boundary of the fire (Stockyard Spur and the Cotter River near Corin Dam: these places were either lightly burnt or not at all), as well as one location (which was pretty badly burnt) on Corin Road. There is also one record (mine) last spring of a Pilotbird calling on the slope between Smokers Trail and the Orroral River, well within the burnt area – so they are still present, at least to some extent, in the burnt country.

Best regards,

Brian