canberrabirds

Comments on bird feeding

To: "" <>
Subject: Comments on bird feeding
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 03:12:21 +0000

Arising from Wednesday’s COG meeting, some ideas about the issue of domestic bird feeding. About the spread of Koels and whether increase in provision of food sources for Red Wattlebirds (by having more nectar producing plants), has contributed to that – maybe – like it has for Rainbow Lorikeets. How that situation compares to providing artificial food, well maybe, but it is a limited link. Among many changes we create. It is probably less than the issue of increase in provision of food sources for Koels, as in fruit bearing garden plants has likely contributed to the Koels increase locally.

About the issue of bird feeding, I am currently ploughing through reading a 327 page book called The birds at my table by Darryl Jones. It goes into the history and practice of this, covering things relevant to Wednesday’s talk. Testing any of these ideas is very difficult because there are so many variables. Darryl is based at Griffith Uni in Brisbane but most of the book is about Europe, UK & USA. He also wrote Magpie Alert, that I reviewed in 2002 for CBN.