canberrabirds

Possible compromise of Canberra Birds mailing list

To: "" <>
From: Robin Eckermann via Canberrabirds <>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 17:11:24 +0000

Folk - a word of caution!

I have just received a (no doubt) virus-conveying message with a subject that purported to be a reply to one of my previous posts to the COGS chat line.  The subject was "Re: ]Canberrabirds] Mystery bird egg", a subject on which I posted a message around early October last year.  The the sender showed as "rogerwilliams&grapevine com au (m("diegomanzur.com","rosina.kuhlman");">)".  The active part of the sender's address (the bit in brackets) is obviously not Roger's email address.

The body of the message read "With this letter I send you all the papers concerning our soon appointment, right as we have revealed just recently. Please take a look at аll required  data via the next link:" - and was followed by a link to a zip file that no doubt contained a virus.

Given that Roger did not reply to the original mail, this could be an indication that the Canberra Birds mailing list has been compromised - and others may receive similar messages. Whatever you do, do not click on the link! Just delete the message.

--
Regards ... Robin Eckermann AM
Principal, Robin Eckermann & Associates