canberrabirds

Speckled Warbler in Dryandra Street Woodland

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Speckled Warbler in Dryandra Street Woodland
From: Con <>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 23:39:34 +0000
To the best of my knowledge there are no previous records of Speckled
Warbler in the Dryandra Street Woodland. This morning I recorded a
single bird.

My recent Black Mountain and Bruce Ridge surveys have failed to turn up
Speckled Warblers, despite repeated, determined and focused searches in
all their previous locations. They are still regulars in tiny numbers in
O'Connor Ridge and Aranda Bushland, having bred successfully in both
locations in 2020.

How did this individual find his way int the Dryandra Street Woodland?

One possibility is that they move about with MFF in the off season and
this bird may have moved into DSW on the wings of a MFF, as it were.
While the 2021 MFF are only just forming, the above bird was co-located
with Brown Thornbill, Superb Fairy-wren, and White-browed Scrubwren. On
the other hand, to the best of my knowledge, the latter are probably all
resident in the above location. In other words, the likelihood is that
the Speckled Warbler joined them after he made his way to the DSW.

kind regards

Con

Emails posted to the list that exceed 2 MB (2,000 kB) in size, including
attachments, will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.

Canberrabirds mailing list