canberrabirds

Dependent Koels

To: COG bird list <>
Subject: Dependent Koels
From: Dr David Rosalky <>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:46:42 +0000

Today (30 January) I saw two dependent Koels in Deakin.  The first sighting was about 8:30am.  The bird was perched on electrical wires between Gawler Cres and Fergusson Cres.  It was a dark bird but clearly young.  I didn’t actually see it in contact with a Wattlebird but its behaviour was one of a young bird waiting to be fed.

The second bird was seen at about 9:15am.  It was begging loudly  - a repeated loud chirp.  It wasn’t hard to follow the noise to find the bird.  It was attended by a RWB and Pied Currawongs were flying in and out of the tree.  It was in Dominion Circuit near Hotham Cres.  The bird was a lovely golden colour and could well have been the same bird that I reported last week.  It was not far from the spot where the earlier one was seen.

This evening, I was on a walk with my wife about 8:15, when the same loud chirping drew me to the bird in Hotham Cres.  We located it twice and the second time, it was fed by a RWB.  We were able to watch the bird go into a bit of a frenzy as the feeder approached.  It quivered outstretched wings and its call became rather frenzied.  This bird was golden in colour and almost certainly was the same one I saw in the morning.  It was only about 100m from the spot I saw it in the morning.

David Rosalky