canberrabirds

Common Starling flock in Holt

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Common Starling flock in Holt
From: John Layton <>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 06:30:46 +0000

During the past decade or so congregations of Common Starlings, other than very small groups, have been quite uncommon in our immediate area. That changed suddenly on Monday morning, for a short time at least, when a large flock dropped onto our lawn and moved across the grass feeding frenetically. Five minutes later they rose in unison and flew through 360 degrees before landing again to resume their feeding frenzy. By way of analogy, have you ever watched Dustin Hoffman walking hurriedly away from the camera? His gait reminds me of that of a bustling starling.

Anyhow, before they took wing I counted them. Not easy. However, after conservative and objective consideration I decided upon a total 60 although it does have a round figure-esque ring to it. Over the ensuing couple of days I noticed not one “Joe Starlin” in the garden. Then, at 07:00 today I flushed about 20. I wonder what they’re up to all of a sudden, and what they’re eating? I hope they’re removing some undesirable insects from our grass.

John Layton

Holt.