canberrabirds

Painted Snipe this morning

To: 'COG list' <>
Subject: Painted Snipe this morning
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 02:26:16 +0000

I would just like to give a little of my context as to how special these are. Not that my story is special. My first observation of this species was 4 males together during the BOCA Christmas camp at Balmoral in December 1972 (my first ever birdy camp). I was with a group of people and if I was alone I probably would not have been able to know what they were or have been believed. I think the group spontaneously found them (McGlashans Lake). The next time was to visit the well known one in a Melbourne park (I think near Heidelberg) this was either in 1997 or 2003, for now I can’t find the information. Anthea Fleming took us there. It was a planned stop over visit on either of my trips to Tasmania. The only other times I have encountered them are those as detailed by Geoffrey below, especially the 2011 event. And although I thought I might be seeing the one last week it was so far away and hiding, I could not be sure. So I have never actually found one of these birds, apart from it having been found by others first. None found on all those formal surveys requested by BA that Malcolm Fyfe organised.

Philip