canberrabirds

SCC in the rain

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: SCC in the rain
From: John Layton <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 04:21:02 +0000

John Leonard wrote: I’ve just been watching a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo in the rain. It was perched in a high gum tree and extended first one wing out, then turned around and extended the other, presumably to get a good soak.

But then it immediately took off. I expected it to come crashing to the ground with the weight of water in its plumage, but it flew on through the heavy rain apparently completely unaffected.

Yes, I’ve seen them behaving like that near our place too, often perching on the 32KV power cables in the rain, inverting and spreading both wings. I fear one may stretch too far some day, contact another cable while soaking wet and phhwt! A flying fox met that fate not far from here a few years ago.

John Layton

Holt.