canberrabirds

FW: Question re development at west basin and the reed warblers.

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: FW: Question re development at west basin and the reed warblers.
From: Amanda Colemen <>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 10:41:55 +0000

FYI

Response from Act Gov to my email about bird warblers.  (see below)

Cheers
Amanda

From: "Lansdown, Simon" <>
Date: Thursday, 19 November 2020 at 5:52 pm
To: "" <>

OFFICIAL

Hi Amanda

Thanks for contacting us, my apologies for taking a while to get back to you.

Thank you also for your interest in the Acton Waterfront and in particular your interest in the wonderful reed warblers. It is always lovely to hear their warble this time of year.

I’d like to reassure you that we are aware that the reed warblers had made that location home this spring and we have had some initial discussions with our ecology colleagues in EPSDD for further input on how to best look after our new neighbours and their home.

While we were aware they were there your email did prompt us to have a closer look so a couple of people from the project team and our Sustainability Manager visited the location earlier this week. Apparently, they were hard to spot – they saw a couple – but they definitely heard their wonderful song.

We understand that the reed warblers are migratory and come to Canberra each spring from northern Australia to breed. They hang around until late summer and then head off again.

The reeds go into dormancy over winter and growth can depend on conditions (temp water levels etc). So, from what I have been told, the birds will return to the area, but they may not always return to the same reed bed. But we’ll get some more information about that as well.

The Acton Waterfront project does include the creation of a beach which will allow people to enjoy and access the lake to swim. The reeds are located where the new beach will be created but at this stage we don’t expect the work will start there until after the birds have moved on. We are looking at ways to incorporate biodiverse habitat at the lake edge as part of the beach and landscape plan.

In the meantime, we we’ll get a more detailed assessment and advice about how to look after them.

Thanks again, if you would like more information please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers

Simon

Simon Lansdown
Director, Community Engagement