canberrabirds

Attack of the Crested Pigeon

To: 'canberra birds' <>
Subject: Attack of the Crested Pigeon
From: Danny McCreadie <>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 20:24:34 +0000

This year, for the second time, a pair of Crested Pigeons have nested in the tree on our nature strip. They have one youngster who is currently ¾ size.

A few days ago the local magpie gang, six in all,  was making its way down the street. The male Crested Pigeon swooped one of them and landed nearby. After a brief scuffle it ended up being held down by a magpie. A passing walker broke it up and he was surprised when I told him the Pigeon had started it.

Last night the pair of Pigeons were feeding on the nature strip while I was gardening nearby. The male suddenly flew up to our roof and attacked a magpie who had just been sitting there. The Pigeon won and took up the magpies spot.

I have not seen them so aggressive before.

Danny