canberrabirds

COG bird blitz at Mulligans Flat

To: "" <>
Subject: COG bird blitz at Mulligans Flat
From: Jenny Bounds <>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 06:55:11 +0000

Greetings all, I hope some of you have managed to get out to blitz today in between the rain/showers.

In consultation with Nicki Taws (and with concerns about possible storms and vehicles damaging rain soaked unsealed roads in MF Sanctuary), I started my blitz at my regular site yesterday morning (Friday) before the weather system came in.  I headed out early, on a pretty good morning weather wise, mild and still, and managed to survey 9 sites across the reserve over about 4 hours (8 2ha surveys, and 1 survey at the large dam). The sites sample various habitats, and most have been surveyed regularly in previous blitz’s.

The highlight was a Painted Honeyeater, making it worth while getting up at 5am to be out there early.

There were several noticeably absent species (eg no raptors, no robins), and I ended up with 64 species.  Its not the best total for a blitz there, had 83 total in 2017, and most years in the 70s. And, I did feel that numbers/abundance of small birds was low, the early morning chorus not as active as usual; we had the same impressions on the COG woodland survey at MF in late September.

The Plan now is to blitz northern Goorooyarroo reserve and target some of the missing species in Mulligans, as soon as road conditions allow safe access, this may not be until next weekend.

So I have managed a useful day indoors today, catching up on paperwork, and will possibly go out somewhere near home tomorrow for a local blitz (in between showers).

Do take care out there.

Cheers

Jenny