canberrabirds

Returning migrants

To: 'Philip Veerman' <>
Subject: Returning migrants
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 00:11:09 +0000

Yes, Philip, although 'Common' could be left out of it as there is now unanimity in global lists that the split of orientalis from the koel species of south Asia is justified. The main differences concern English names.  COG and Birdlife Australia follow HBW/BLI in using ‘Eastern’ for the name of our species (see below). ‘Pacific’ is not favoured because that is the name HBW/BLI use for a ‘group’ of subspecies of orientalis extending from the Moluccas to the Solomons.  HBW/BLI uses ‘Australian Koel’ for a group containing the two Australian subspecies.  Usually editors of global lists would be receptive to suggestions for English names for our Australian birds but it does not seem worth making the effort in this case because the  taxonomy is likely to change again.