canberrabirds

Wood Ducklings

To: 'mariko buszynski' <>, 'canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Wood Ducklings
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 07:44:03 +0000

Many people have wondered for years if these extraordinary large number of ducklings (which is a sort of common occurrence for this species) can belong to one pair. Probably not, as normally a bird will only lay about one egg a day, so how can she put out 23 eggs over that long and they still be viable and hatch together. I believe we don’t know the answer. Am I wrong? Is odd, as it would seem to be an easy question to look at, compared to say how much is known about Fairy-wrens. Also the bit of film a few days ago that shows several adults gathered around as young jumped from a nest, sort of suggests (to me) that it is likely to be more than one set of parents. As ducklings get imprinted on the first relevant moving thing they see, it probably does not matter if it is their actual parent or some other duck of the same species.

Philip