canberrabirds

Autumn Survey Majura Training Area

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: Autumn Survey Majura Training Area
From: Paul Fennell <>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 04:56:14 +0000
On Tuesday last week Chris Davey and I surveyed at Majura Training Area
(formerly the Majura Firing Range).  It was still and quite overcast, with only
a very occasional glimpse of the sun. It was a bit gloomy when we started at
7.30 because of the daylight saving at this time of the year. The marsupials
were about, with three generations of Eastern Greys in large numbers, a few
Red-necked and a single Swamp Wallaby.

Quite disappointing overall, with only 25 species seen on site, and only 3
different species seen between sites.  The highlight of the morning was a
single Wedge-tailed Eagle perched at the top of a dead tree, the first bird we
saw on the range. We had previously observed a couple of Superb Fairy-wrens at
Range control.  A good sized group of White-winged Choughs was seen between
sites as well.

On site 1 we saw no birds on site, and heard only SCC, A Magpie, and Rufous
Whistler off-site. On site 7 we saw 1 Crimson Rosella on site, and heard a
couple of A Magpies off-site, and that was that. The other sites were slightly
more productive, but populated by such usual suspects as Galah, SCC, and
Red-rumped Parrots, and Noisy Miner, A Raven and Starling.  There were a few
honeyeaters around, but not many, including: Yellow-faced, White-eared,
Brown-headed, Red Wattlebird and Noisy Friarbird.  Brow and Buff-rumped
Thornbills were observed, as well as Weebill and Spotted Pardalote, and one
Grey Fantail.

A couple of ducks on Mick’s Dam, would you believe Wood Duck and Pacific  Black
Duck.

Very few species were there in any number, apart from a dozen Weebill and
Buff-rumped Thornbill on one site.

All in all a fairly relaxed morning as the birds did not trouble the scorer
very much. One pleasant feature was the greatly reduced air traffic at the
airport next door, at a time which is normally quite busy.

Paul Fennell

0407105460

Emails posted to the list that exceed 200 kB in size, including attachments,
will be rejected.
All emails distributed via the list are archived at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds. It is a
condition of list membership that you agree to your contributions being
archived.
When subscribing or unsubscribing, please insert the word 'Subscribe' or
'Unsubscribe', as applicable, in the email's subject line.
List manager: David McDonald, email <>