canberrabirds

Superb Parrots in Hughes

To: Filipio Gwynne <>
Subject: Superb Parrots in Hughes
From: Matthew Fitzgerald <>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 09:49:17 +0000
We have had many Superbs in Watson this week, also feeding on the Chinese Elms.

Matt

On Tue, 17 Mar. 2020, 18:14 Filipio Gwynne, <> wrote:
There are numbers of Superb Parrots also currently feeding in large seeding Chinese Elms, on a daily basis, in house-yards in lower Cook also (notably along Grylls and Aston Crescents).

I've posted about this occurring a few years ago, when the birds were a bit more limited in their distribution (people were then still regularly heading to the AIS car parking area for photographs).  However, in the last two seeding seasons (2018 & 2019) Superb Parrots were conspicuously absent from these same trees, despite the presence of abundant seed and the usual other parrot species utilising the resource -- most commonly, Eastern Rosellas.  I'd assumed with their expanding range, this food source was perhaps no longer as important.

This year though, Superb Parrots arrived very soon after the seeds began appearing (about ten days ago) and have remained regular daily visitors ever since. Predominantly females, and usually at least several birds at a time.

Phil Winn.