canberrabirds

Larks at Parkwood

To: 'Steve Read' <>, 'canberrabirds chatline' <>
Subject: Larks at Parkwood
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2019 08:03:14 +0000

Thanks for that. I found the last item especially interesting. The Australian Bird Guide book lists its mimicry behaviour which fits your comment. The take-off flight of a Crested Pigeon is distinct enough to pick but it is an odd one. The closest I can think of is there are certainly recordings of the Superb Lyrebird mimicking the sound of Crimson Rosella wing flaps in flight. Or believed to be that. It is clearly the sound of bird wing flaps in flight, these are consistent with rosella but given simultaneously with mimicry of Crimson Rosella calls, so a fair guess. There is not much in general literature about birds mimicking non vocal birds’ sounds (I am excluding pet parrots, mynas or other things from that comment). Many birds around the world are mimics but it appears that Australia has the best range.

Philip