canberrabirds

Mass removal of dead trees pending

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Mass removal of dead trees pending
From: shorty <>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 05:54:33 +0000
Hi all,

Last weekend i did a talk for Landcare on birdbaths on a property at Michelago.

Today i received an email from Lauren who attended this talk. I have copied the email with permission and i cannot believe that this is going on. This is just one district, how many other areas have been sent this request? Can something be done to stop this type of business?

"Dear Shorty

I was at your presentation at Tony and Gill's the other day.  Loved every moment of it.

Since then a thing has come up at work.  On Wednesday a guy from an overseas company has put an advert in the local Monaro Post saying he can remove dead (Ribbon Dieback Trees) free of charge to convert the wood into biochar.  He is talking mass removal not just the odd tree.

We, being Landcare and the new DPIE and LLS were working on putting together a brochure for farmers on why they should retain the dead trees ie hollows etc.

Well we find ourselves having to respond sooner than we expected to this guy and we need to get tree hollow info out asap.

I am wondering if you might have a photo of birds (baby birds) in a hollow that might work to be an eye-catcher image for the article??

We would ask the Monaro Post Editor to put your credit details on the photo.

If you had something we would be most grateful.  We need it by tomorrow if that is possible.

I will text you to let you know I have sent this email.  I asked Georgeanna for your contact details and she has jumped onto it.  Thanks George."

Kindest regards
Lauren Van Dyke