canberrabirds

A short drive around the Corner (final)

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Subject: A short drive around the Corner (final)
From: Denise Kay <>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 04:22:30 +0000
many thanks Geoffrey a great sequence

Denise Kay
Flying Fox Coordinator
ACT Wildlife

On 25 Oct 2019, at 1:32 pm, Geoffrey Dabb <> wrote:

A final little ob before completing my triangular excursion last Tuesday.  There is no prize for recognizing the below bird species, but what about the fish?  Hint: we are not talking Lake Burley Griffin here, but still at the clear oyster-filled waters of  Merimbula Lake.  As it happens I know this little chap from childhood fishing in Corio Bay. It is quite an awkward customer.  In my Sea Fishes of Southern Australia it is called a Soldierfish Gymnapistes marmoratus, also known as South Australian Cobbler or Devilfish. The dorsal fin spines are venomous. Two spines on the side of the head can be projected sideways when danger threatens. You might be able to see these below, given the fish’s threatening predicament. The cormorant might have been reading the book, because it took several minutes to deal with it, holding it delicately by the bill tip and working it to a position where it was lined up for the final swallow, venomous spines and all.

m("01D58B38.AE09B980","image001.jpg");"><image001.jpg>