canberrabirds

Percival Hill Boobook

To: canberra birds <>
Subject: Percival Hill Boobook
From: Duncan McCaskill <>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 04:11:59 +0000
At the end of this morning's COG outing to Percival Hill, I tried to relocate the owl and headed back up and over the hill in the direction I'd last seen the owl flying. With no noisy posse of birds around to help me find it, I soon gave up. On the way back down the hill I heard an active mixed flock of small birds and waited quietly for some time trying, without success, to see any of them. A couple a Buff-rumped Thornbills were being particularly noisy in the tree above me, and when I looked up, the Boobook flew out. It turned out I had spent the previous 5 minutes standing right under it. I did manage to get this photo before it disappeared again.

Percival Boobook.jpg

Duncan.